The Ronin-M 3-axis manual gimbal stabilizer from DJIes is a camera stabilization system designed to give the operator the freedom to shoot with the hand smoothly but without waving their hands. Suitable for most types of cameras and configurations up to 4 kilos.
The stabilizer at gimbal ronin-M 3-axis manual gimbal stabilizer from DJIis a camera stabilization system designed to give the operator the freedom to shoot handheld smoothly but without hand shake Suitable for most camera types and configurations up to 8 pounds, the Ronin-M uses brushless motors that operate on three axes: one for a side-to-side "roll", keeping the horizon level, one for tilt and one for pan The system is computer controlled and features a 105° upward / 165° downward tilt range plus a ± 110° tilt range In addition, the system features a control accuracy of ± 0.02°, enabling precise camera movements and stability correction even against very fine movements In addition to manual shooting, the gimbal can be used in vehicle mounting scenarios and in other contexts where vibrations or other sudden movements might make tripods and rigid camera support systems unsuitable.
The Ronin-M supports dual-operator shooting, much like working with an arm that has a motorized pan/tilt head In this mode, a second operator would use the included transmitter (radio controller) to manually control the pan and tilt of the camera, regardless of how Ronin-M moves The included transmitter/receiver system operates at 2.4 GHz and is proprietary If you prefer to use a third-party transmitter, there is a D-Bus port on the Ronin-M to install your own receiver.
Like sled and vest style stabilizers, motorized gimbal systems require balancing prior to use Once balanced, you can configure the Ronin-M for your particular camera setup using the ancillary software for iOS and Windows (desktop) compatible Bluetooth-enabled devices Because each camera and lens combination has a different mass and weight distribution, there is an ATS (Auto-Tuning Stability) procedure in which each axis will be adjusted individually, repeating the process until all three are aligned A gimbal adjustment bracket is provided so that you do not have to hold the device by hand during this process.
The included 4S lithium-ion polymer battery powers the Ronin-M for up to six hours It is a "smart" battery, which means that power regulation and protection circuitry is built in and there is no separate balance cable, unlike many lithium polymer batteries A charger is also included, and it is important to always use chargers designed for the Ronin-M battery because of the intelligent circuitry Two 12V DC PowerTaps and a USB power port on the camera base allow you to power accessories on the camera directly from the Ronin-M battery to simplify your charging regimen and avoid unnecessary extra weight.
- For cameras up to 8 lbs
- The auto-setup function means the Ronin-M can adapt to a variety of camera sizes, and is ideal for compact camcorders, mirrorless cameras and DSLRs It is suitable for loads up to 8 lbs.
- SmoothTrack Control
- SmoothTrack gives a single gimbal operator the ability to translate their gimbal tilt and pan movements into smooth, stabilized camera angle movements It is designed to frame wide wide-angle scenes or even shoot in tight spaces much more easily while using a single gimbal.
- Automatic setup
- After balancing the camera with a simple touch of the ATS (Auto-Tuning Stability) button, Ronin-M will automatically tune itself for the mass and weight distribution of the camera equipment The gimbal will intelligently adjust the parameters based on the weight of the camera equipment and independently adjust each of the three axes until an optimal setting is found.
- Three modes of operation
- Vertical operation mode The vertical mode allows the gimbal to be
vertical mode allows the gimbal to be flipped so that the camera can be operated closer to eye level without forcing the gimbal to elevate This can be used in a variety of situations, such as mounting on the superior side of the vehicle
Suspended mode of operation (suspended) The suspended mode of operation is the standard mode of operation
mode is the standard mode of operation for Ronin-M Low hanging, close to the ground, or simply holding the gimbal in front of you, it offers stabilized handheld footage This mode would also be used when mounting the gimbal on a flying platform such as a multirotor RC helicopter
When a slimmer gimbal profile is needed, such as when moving through doorways or narrow paths, briefcase mode is ideal It allows the gimbal to be held to the side and close to the legs, like a briefcase.
- Second operator control
- With the form factor of an RC aircraft radio controller, the Ronin 2.4 GHz transmitter provides pan and tilt control, as well as user-assignable speed settings and operating modes via two toggle switches This allows one operator to hold the gimbal assembly while a second manually controls camera movement remotely If you prefer to use a third-party transmitter, a D-bus port is also provided.
- Optional Pan / Tilt Thumb Controller
- Individual thumb control is possible for the Ronin-M handheld gimbal system These pan and tilt movements are controlled via the optional Thumb Controller accessory, available separately In addition, SmoothTrack mode can be enabled or disabled using the Thumb Controller interface.
- Wizard software for mobile devices and Windows
- A mobile device or computer to run the assistant software is essential It is available for selected iOS mobile devices and Windows computers With the software you can:
- Automatically set up the equipment according to the weight and weight distribution of your camera after you have balanced it
- Adjust the Smoothtrack tuning to the user's preference
- Enable and configure the second operator control
- Run diagnostics and generate statistics
- Install firmware updates
Software can interface via USB or wirelessly via Bluetooth
- Tool-less adjustment
- A built-in balance adjustment system means no tools are needed for setup and adjustment, saving time when changing settings for different camera layouts.
- Universal mounting
- In addition to the handle bars, the gimbal unit can be detached for mounting on jibs, cranes, tripods, vehicle mounts and other types of camera support equipment (additional mounting accessories may be required, available separately).
- Solid support arm
- Increased rigidity is provided by a single, complete piece of finely machined magnesium that forms the U-shaped arm supporting the camera plate This unified design helps eliminate the imperfection common in systems made of multiple assembled parts The arm gives you not only greater stability but also reliability, as there is no possibility of separate parts coming loose or separating.
- Quiet Mode
- When shooting indoors or in confined spaces, the quiet mode reduces the sound of each motor as low as possible The Ronin-M's stabilization algorithms are updated to focus on minute changes and stabilization, helping to ensure that the sound of the motors is not recorded by sensitive microphones or other recording equipment
- Intelligent quick-release battery
- With an estimated 6 hours of run time (depending on usage), the patented Ronin-M battery system is designed for easy changes in the field and charges with a dedicated charger that is included The batteries have indicators so that remaining power can be checked directly on the battery Unlike lithium polymer batteries, with the Ronin-M smart battery, overcharge and overcharging protection is built in, as is individual battery cell charge balancing.
- Power distribution box
- Two regulated 12V DC PowerTaps, a 500 mAh female USB Type A connector, and also a connection point for the HDI Lightbridge Long Range HD video downlink are provided These provide power connection for various accessories, including motorized follow-follow systems, video transmitters and more, all while keeping cables to a minimum.
- superior quick release handle
- Designed to save time breaking down the system or transporting it between locations Eliminating handles can also be useful for downsizing when shooting in tight locations.
- Based on Zenmuse technology
- The Ronin-M adapts the same brushless motor technology used in aerial gimbals from DJI for handheld and ground use.
- Ronin-M Wireless Thumb Controller (Note: Ronin-M Wireless Thumb Controller is not supported)
- Ronin-M Battery (Note: Ronin battery (3400mAh) is not compatible)
- Ronin Charger (the same charger used by original Ronin)
- Ronin-M Monitor / Mount Accessory
- Ronin-M Vertical Adjustment Arm Extension Kit (30mm)